Music Banter - View Single Post - Architecture
Thread: Architecture
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
the top floor might be the best part of the design. i spent a lot of time there during my last semester and usually after long hours of studying and homework we would go out on the roof and watch passing traffic just to clear our minds and relax.
^ That sounds like a nice thing to do. What a pity that it's been closed.

Two of my fave brick churches. This one in London:-

The next is Watts Cemetery chapel, tucked away in a little-visited corner of the countryside about three hours from London; I still remember the feeling of surprise I felt when I first came across it by chance while cycling down a country lane.

The floor plan is just a cross superimposed on a circle and in the middle of this photo you can see one quarter of the curved wall, so you can imagine how, out of sight, it repeats itself at the back, in perfect symmetry. And notice how, at about first-floor level, there is a band of decoration on the curved wall? There are similar decorative panels running vertically down the stubby ends of the cross walls.

Well, each one of those decorative terracotta panels is a work of art in itself: here's a photo of one, close up. What I particularly like is that the decorator has given up any pretense of depicting conventional Christian symbols. It's like he's saying, "Forget the religion, this is art!"