Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #7311 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Haha, yes. It's much more comfortable to talk about Trump's latest tweet!
As I see it, the big stumbling block about dealing with gerrymandering is the difficulty of defining what a fair division of constituencies is. Until you have that yardstick fixed and agreed, it's gonna be impossible to decide what are fair and unfair divisions. (If I have the time or patience, I might look at what they do in Europe, where it is not a problem afaik, though don't hold your breath on that one.)
Well, there are some very smart people with some good proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
And on that issue of the weighting to low-population states, I read that the equivalency is about 3 urban coastal votes = 1 agricultural hinterland vote. Not the intention behind "One man, one vote" I'm sure!
That may be true of the electoral college—and that's bad enough—but it's actually far, far worse in the Senate. Each state gets two senators regardless of size so the 600,000 people in Wyoming collectively have just as much say as the 40,000,000 people in California. Unless my math is wrong, that mean an individual voter in Wyoming has almost 80 times the voice in the US Senate than an individual voter in California.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote