Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #83 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Because they're fun. If you're going to listen to GNR you obviously want to have fun so why not listen MC since they're exclusively about fun.
I honestly don't even find GNR to be fun. There was a time as a teen where I did, but I quickly got bored of them and only now give a **** about "Sweet Child 'O Mine". "Paradise City" and "Welcome to the Jungle" do nothing for me these days, and everything else I've heard from them are just kind of somewhat okay to tedious. I don't hate them like I do Pink Floyd, but I consider my indifference to them to be in the same ballpark. Everything that made them different from the bog standard bands of their ilk also served to make them less fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
They are not really Glam but more like Post-Glam or Proto-Glam Revival. They wore less to nil makeup compared to Cinderella, Twisted Sister or Britny Fox. Axl Rose stole the idea of being a pirate from Little Steven from the Boss' backup band, the E Street Band, and most of Axl Rose' wardrobe was trash picked from outside of Steven Tyler's house. So anyway they moved away from all the trite gimmicks of 80s Metal Glam but still kept some of the affectations of proto 80s Metal Glam like Aerosmith. GnR are the missing link in the evolution between 80s Metal Glam and 90s Metal and Hard Rock. GnR vs Grunge is an apples to oranges comparison. Grunge was more of the amalgamation of Punk and 80s college radio while GnR was the amalgamation of Heavy Metal and Hard Rock.

GnR were OK. Their popular songs were good enough, idk about their whole albums. But what really catapult them into being a household name were their concert shirts.
Nah they're clearly glam. If they weren't completely derivative it says less about GNR than it does about just how ****ing derivative glam was. If glam metal had any real identity beyond a handful of bands then GNR would have just been another glam band and not had their dicks ridden so hard. Having different ideas does not separate you from your genre, it just makes you standout from the bands in your genre. Maybe you could separate their later material from glam, but they were definitely a glam band who just had more creativity than Poison.

But I just don't give even a little bit of a **** about their creativity. I'd much rather listen to Poison btw.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote