Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #252 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I'm like literally right there on the 30 year mark with Cecil and Ornette. Free jazz has been the biggest constant in my listening habits. A solid appreciation for free jazz is a litmus test with me. If you get it I'll take your opinion into consideration about anything. If not, I discount opinions that are outside of their purview. Especially negative ones. Like with Bat, if he likes something I know right away it's very likely to be good. But if he doesn't like something I take it with a grain of salt. I don't care if everyone wants to call me a #FrownDickRider because this is the truth. There's a few cases where I'm not eye to eye on every single musician but I make sure I check out the stuff you rave on and almost always feel the same way.

Haters can hate y'all but Frown knows his stuff. Respect where it's due.
I think I'm reading this wrong so by all means tell me if so but: are you saying that if someone is not into free jazz you will discount their opinion on any other music, or on free jazz? Or, are you (as I think you are) saying that, whatever the genre, you'll only give credence to the opinion of someone who is familiar with it? As in, if I said punk is **** you'd say (and you'd be right) that I don't know what I'm talking about because I've listened to so little?
Quote:
Yeah, I mean it's cool but your limitations are clear.
That's an arrogant thing to say now really. Just because someone doesn't like free jazz does not mean they're limited. Different strokes, man.
Quote:
Not really. It's also about knowledge and understanding.
Another arrogant thing to say. I may have plenty of knowledge and understanding of, say, soul, but not like it. That doesn't mean I'm limited just cos I don't like soul. But I would agree - and I've been guilty of this in the past - that you shouldn't diss music you haven't at least listened to.