Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #265 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I think I'm reading this wrong so by all means tell me if so but: are you saying that if someone is not into free jazz you will discount their opinion on any other music, or on free jazz? Or, are you (as I think you are) saying that, whatever the genre, you'll only give credence to the opinion of someone who is familiar with it? As in, if I said punk is **** you'd say (and you'd be right) that I don't know what I'm talking about because I've listened to so little?

That's an arrogant thing to say now really. Just because someone doesn't like free jazz does not mean they're limited. Different strokes, man.

Another arrogant thing to say. I may have plenty of knowledge and understanding of, say, soul, but not like it. That doesn't mean I'm limited just cos I don't like soul. But I would agree - and I've been guilty of this in the past - that you shouldn't diss music you haven't at least listened to.
Free jazz and some other types of atonal music are still the pinnacle. Once I discover someone knows their **** about that I assign more merit to their opinion about any genre than a music lover's opinion who isn't hip to the avant garde.

For example:

I say that my favorite Slayer record is South of Heaven. Bat says Hell Awaits is better and Frown says Reign in Blood. Until proven otherwise by my own ears I will give more merit to Frown's opinion because he knows more about free jazz than Bat. Even though Bat knows more about metal I respect Frown's opinion more because I respect the opinion of someone who likes free jazz over a metalhead's even if the topic is metal. If you understand free jazz I know for sure you get the subtleties of other genres. However, if Frown said straight out that he doesn't like metal then that voids his opinion.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote