Music Banter - View Single Post - Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #339 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I gave you examples from 90125 of stuff that is most definitely prog-pop. Others would include 'It Can Happen' and maybe that instrumental 'Cinema" as well. So that's what, four tracks out of nine? 'Leave It' and 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' are both a little off the beaten path as well, even if neither is in 9/8 time or 20 minutes long lol...

You can hate their output from that period if you want (which is fine: I think they were hit n' miss), but that doesn't mean you can write them off as Duran Duran either, because you'd be wrong. Go look at the genre tags on RYM and other places too. I'm just stating facts.

But to be clear, I do think 90125 has a few problems. 'Hold On', 'City Of Love' (which has a cool second half to be fair) and 'Our Song' all seem average to me and hold the album back. It's a mixed bag, which is why my ideal 80's Yes album would have cherrypicked the best stuff from that writing period up til '89 and cut out the least proggy stuff.

And in regards to Squire, he's specifically got songwriting credits on seven out of the nine songs. If he wasn't doing lyrics (which I'm assuming was Anderson or Rabin depending on the song), then that means he was involved in a compositional sense or maybe he contributed to the melodies. Either way, seven out of nine is a lot for someone who "slunk" out.

Worlds Apart is a great album, no question about that.
Duran Duran is a band full of exceptional musicians and had a lot of great songs. If you can cherry pick the Trevor Rabin era Yes, then the same can be done for Duran Duran. The best of Duran Duran would totally wreck the best of TREY.

I hardly ever use RYM, and I don't find it necessary to check how they tag things. The point being made was that just because Yes had a history of Prog Rock, doesn't mean that 90125 is a Prog album, and that it wasn't so Proggy that it should considered an example of Prog-Pop hybrid album.

That line of thinking that once a banded in labeled than all their output should be carry that label is kinda like saying Sgt Pepper is Beat music cause The Beatles were known as Beat band, or In Between the Buttons is a Blues album cause the Stones were known as a Blues band. 90125 is just an 80s Pop album, plain and simple. I am not saying that TREY is totally devoid of Prog. Maybe their are some elements of it in the music. But it I don't see how TREY is "progressive" or even pushing the envelope music-wise if they are just following other 80s bands, and at the same time not really creating music that is as good as those other bands. In Through the Out Door has more going for it to be considered a Prog-Pop album, and the songs are better over all than stuff by TREY.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote