Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #255 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Further thoughts:
I do wonder what this album means to you people on here who will disagree with me the most. When did you listen to it first? You personal history with it, what is so great about it, what it gives you that is yet unmatched by other artists. I'm especially interested in hearing this from Frownland, The Batlord and also you, Elphenor.
Not much personal history tbh. I don't listen to VU that much for no apparent reason, but when I do I very much enjoy them, and this album. I'm not sure when I first heard it but I only came to it and proto-punk in general after joining the forum. I'm assuming it would have been within a year or two at most, so about five or six years ago I suppose. So I'm not a superfan or someone who can't listen to the album objectively.

I like the album quite a bit, but somewhat less so the second half, and while I no longer hate Nico as a dull, pretentious-sounding twat she's still not my favorite thing about the album. So it's not a flawless classic to me, but what's right about it is right as ****. I don't know about alternate tunings and whatever else are supposed to make this so experimental, but I love that it's the sound of what psychedelic rock could have sounded like in an alternate universe, and is remarkably less dated than a lot of that other stuff to boot. It's definitely garagey, but elevated by a hodgepodge of influences that meld seamlessly to create a very diverse tracklist of catchy, interesting songs that can rightfully be taken seriously but don't forget to be accessible as garage rock should be.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote