Music Banter - View Single Post - Sexual Misconduct Pool
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-a-young-actor

first i'm hearing about this. really weird.
I kind of just want to turn my computer off for 8 months until all the facts are sorted out. The speculation and witch hunting is just pissing me off. I'd rather just realize 5 years from now "Hey, we haven't heard from Johnny Knoxville for a while, wonder what happened? I'll google it. Oh dear."

Obviously those people who have harmed others should face consequences and/or atone for it, but I know for a fact that SOME of these allegations will be lies, and the current climate seems to be "guilty until proven innocent".

This opinion might offend some of our more socially-conscious members, but there is a difference to me between a crime that someone committed 30 years ago and someone who is currently committing crimes. I know I've done **** I regretted when I was a young, dumb idiot, and the social climate has changed quite a bit in that time. In the case of crimes committed several decades ago, society as a whole is responsible along with the transgressor.

And honestly, if we're going on a witch hunt for every man who has ever ogled a person when they didn't request it, we're going to have to imprison close to every male. For me, there's a difference between assaulting someone and being a jerk by making unwanted comments, and while neither is acceptable, I don't think it makes sense to respond to them with the same punishment. E.g., I'm not defending Louis CK and I'm not denying that he's a creep, but his actions are being treated as equal to the alleged actions of Kevin Spacey, and to make the whole thing even more frustrating, all of this is occurring before a proper investigation and trial.

The public has decided their fate in the place of the law, and while these two individuals may very well be guilty as sin, there WILL be accusers who WILL lie about the facts in the future. Because people ****ing suck and they lie about **** and they are vindictive and petty and they love attention. I ain't saying that the majority of accusations will be false, and I think it's great that people are finally feeling safe to come forward, BUT we CANNOT keep crucifying people BEFORE the facts have been determined by the appropriate forces.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote