Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Comprehensive Guide to Iron Maiden
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Track title: “Infinite Dreams”
Album: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Year: 1988
Written by: Steve Harris
Subject: Dreams/Foretelling the future
Type: Hard to say: starts slow, picks up, epic rocker but a good headbanger too.
Length: 6:03
Familiar? Not that much, no
Rating: 7.8/10
Back to Seventh Son we go, and the second track on the album, one of three written by Harris solo. I'll probably get stick for this but who cares: I feel two of the three he writes solo are some of the weakest on the album, though the title track is pretty sweet. Still, when he teams up with the likes of Bruce and Adrian I feel that's when the really good tracks come through, like “Moonchild”, “Only the Good Die Young” etc. Sometimes it seems Harris needs someone to keep a rein on his ideas, though having said that he is of course a wonderful songwriter, but in general I think he works better in collaboration with another writer.

This song sounds to me like it has a real Powerslave feel to it, got a real punch and I like the way it goes through some changes over its – to be fair – not too long run of just over six minutes. I love the way it speeds up in the middle with a big roar from Bruce, and though it does sound to me like they're recycling some guitar riffs and melodies here, it's a great guitar attack and a good finish, shades of “Revelations” from Piece of Mind. Cool.