Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Comprehensive Guide to Iron Maiden
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Honestly you should give A Matter of Life and Death a few more listens. It's not nearly as immediately accessible as their early classics, but it definitely is one of their better albums in general and deserves to be given a chance to grow on you. I think they're a better band than you're giving them credit for tbh. I mean "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" at the very least should give you pause. It's not even a typical Maiden song but still manages to have the catchy riffs to make it into quite possibly the only mid-tempo, seriously heavy song that Maiden has ever produced, and it's also pretty accessible right from the off. It's a different Maiden song that's by far one of their best, proving that they still had creativity in them at least as far as 2006.

I'm pretty sure I heard that. I mean, I did listen to each album once, but can I say the same about anything from the debut to Fear of the Dark, and then Brave New World? No, I can't, cos they're all excellent albums. Ok, No Prayer for the Dying has its bad moments, as does FotD ("Weekend Warrior" guys? Really?) but in general they're all albums I'd listen to over and over. I might skip the odd track but I'd listen to them. I'd want to listen to them. The "new" ones have not had that effect on me. I think some of it has to do with the overpreponderance of epic tracks. I mean, I love love love Maiden, but I don't want a ten-minute song every second track. There's only so much of that you can take, I feel, and now they've almost broken the twenty-minute barrier.

And let's be honest, "Empire of the Clouds" is interesting when you hear it the first time - if not only for the long piano intro - but are you really gonna listen to it over and over? Nah: it's a novelty and once you've heard it, that's kind of it. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", on the other hand - even though it's like five minutes shorter - I'll listen to over and over again, cos its well put together and never gets dull. If "Empire" comes up here, I'll listen to it, certainly, but I'll be struggling through it and likely glad when it's over. I never wanted to have to say that about a Maiden track, but there it is. I feel The Final Frontier can suck my balls too.