Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2018 thread
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #228 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I don't get that either. Chances are, nobody really hates (or pretends to hate) the English unless it comes down to an "us vs them" thing. If Ireland and England met on the field you'd find a whole lot more people suddenly patriotic than usual. SOME of this of course has to do with the behaviour of a certain section of English fans, I'm sure you'll agree.
Sorry TH, I was typing the response then got distracted and just realised I didn't respond to this post.

Yeah it is true tbh, England fans haven't been great in the past (Landsdowne Road being a particular lowlight for England). I think the reputation is probably a little unfair now, I can't remember any trouble since maybe Marseille/France 1998 (Russia last year does not count imo, English people were attacked first). The more unsavoury elements of our support have been weeded out, guys banned etc. But yeah I can understand people not liking us because of that tbh.

Quote:
You'll probably also find most people (not me) support an Irish club and an English one. I don't know: it's hard yes to reconcile that with the perceived dislike of the English, but that's just how it is. In terms of the actual rivalry, in some cases hatred, it's hard for an Englishman to understand, as you have historically always been the aggressors, and with the exception of the Norman invasion, have never been occupied.

But that's history, and this is sport. I think in general Irish people are just encouraged to/brought up to "hate" the English because, well, it's hard to forget, but of course people waive that stance when it suits them. It used to be "burn everything British but their coal"; now we're a whole lot more picky. You can always rely on the Irish to stump ya!
This was my impression tbh. BTW I'm not defending the past or anything, I know it's probably a sensitive issue. Fair enough mate, cheers for responding.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote