Music Banter - View Single Post - 25+ Favorite Albums Of 2017 (by Anteater)
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

7. Teen Daze - Themes For Dying Earth

Genre: Ambient Pop, Indie Rock, World Music, New Age

Sounds Like: Early 90's Talk Talk, Fleet Foxes, St. Lucia, Brian Eno

Probably the best "indie pop" anything record I've run across in years, Teen Daze is the brainchild of singer-songwriter Jamison Isaak as an avenue to explore more expansive sounds. The ideas present here, a sort of mono no aware distillation of the idea of seeking solace from the pain of the world through nature and the primordial - is a compelling one. Or at the very least, it is a typical concept made compellingly new again through a combination of dreamy pop and experimental yet still soothing ambient instrumentals. The album barely cracks the 40 minute mark, but it manages to keep a substantial balance between the vocal and ambient cuts to give you a sense of ebb and flow as you go along.

The two strongest vocal cuts here, opener 'Cycle' and the shimmering 'Lost' showcase a penchant for strong melodic progression and perhaps a strong sense of empathy as well. It's the kind of stuff that can connect with you when your guard is down. No ripping guitar solos here: synths and a mix of acoustics is the name of the game and the overall effect is sublime.

The last three minutes of the record, closing track 'Breath', is perhaps the best track of all despite its simplicity. Just one great synth wash coming in and out like the Pacific tide. No special variations, no tricks...just the digital recreation of falling into a trance. Or maybe just a deep sleep. Either way, it sold me and catapulted the whole album right over nearly everyone else.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-26-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote