Music Banter - View Single Post - 25+ Favorite Albums Of 2017 (by Anteater)
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

4. The Breathing Effect - The Fisherman Abides

Genre: Jazz-fusion, Post-Rock, Chillwave

Sounds Like: Toro y Moi, Mogwai, Ariel Pink, Solution, Return To Forever, Snarky Puppy

The Breathing Effect are another band I've grown fond of over the past few years but whose overall approach is a hard one to box in. If pressed, I suppose the easiest way to define the fluidity of The Fisherman Abides is an album that sounds like The Flaming Lips doing Bitches Brew. This is an old school fusion record as interpreted by our millennial generation that loves the more experimental side of 90's and early 00's rock and the whole chillwave sound that showed up right after that. You get the sense these guys are well versed in subverting all things jazzy and vaguely commercial, as those yacht rock Rhodes keys at the beginning of 'Water Static (Blinding Phoenix)' indicate, though it quickly morphs into a nearly avant-garde exercise in sound manipulation, complete with some classic tension-and-release post rock dynamics.

Of the main two players here, Harry Terrell is particularly awesome on the skins. He's got massive dexterity, able to convey Steely Dan level precision in tripped out soundscapes that remind me more of Swans circa 1991 or so. And that's just how great the dichotomy here is: this is the kind of album that will sound completely different depending on the person listening. There's just that much variability here, and it's fantastic.

So for those looking for a little jazz in your math-rock with an extra dash of creativity, this comes with my highest recommendations. At the very least, you might be surprised.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-30-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote