Music Banter - View Single Post - Happy New Year 2018!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Happy New Year, everybody, and welcome to another science-fiction date!

I remember when people said to each other, "Can you imagine? It actually is 1984!" For decades, thanks to George Orwell, this date had been some unimaginable future time, when the whole world would be completely different and for that reason it felt very strange when the year actually arrived. Perhaps even more striking was the year 2001, made famous in advance by Stanley Kubric.

For me, every date since then has had a slightly unbelievable, futuristic feel to it. In fact, they only get real when I have actually written the date a few times, usually first on a cheque or letter. I wonder where, apart from wishing people well, we will first enter the date, ## January, 2018 ?

Also, a question for all you Millennials, what are the new futuristic dates that have been made famous in advance by artists ? What dates will make you send a hologram to your pals saying, "Can you believe it ?!"
What do you see 2018 as relating to specifically in Sci-Fi, Lisna? I can't think of anything off hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
At my old forum, we had a Snake Plissken fanatic who loved Escape From New York. Imagine his shock when Manhattan wasnt turned into a penetentiary by 1997.
It wasn't??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Everything from the year 2000 is very dated by now. Maybe sci-fi novels should just start writing years as "????" to avoid feeling too anachronistic in the future.

Then of course you have things like the MS-DOS computers in Alien and huge, clunky monitors in Blade Runner.

What no sci-fi writer/director saw coming was internet meme culture and selfie sticks.
But the original Star Trek predicted, among other things, flip mobile phones and CDs. Unfortunately, teleporters are something we're still waiting for...