View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #9324 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
[MERIT] you win: in the face of such intransigence and constantly moving the goalposts around, strawman arguments, flip-flopping and more that has just confused and frustrated the hell out of me, I give up. I'll leave you to the mercy of the man I have to admit is one of the best debaters on this forum. May you die honourably.
He hasnít moved the goal post around. Heís given various hypotheticals in defense of a consistent position: People shouldnít be forced by the government to do things they donít believe in. People are up in arms because heís putting economic liberty in front of social reform to prevent discrimination. The Libertarian position is that if youíre not actively trespassing on others the government should not intervene.

My thoughts:
Even if you take the position that eliminating discrimination is more important than the liberty to run your own business as you see fit everyone should be able to see thereís a social cost either way. The government enforces laws by force. As an anarchist, I want the government to exert no force but less force is better than more force. Thatís why I have some sympathy for Meritís position. I also have issues with it but I see where heís coming from.

Let me give what I think is a fair equivalency. Letís say Iím, not surprisingly, a free speech absolutist.

In todayís world, walking around with a sign that advocates genocide against African Americans would be offensive but I support your right to say it.

100 years ago it would have been more offensive to most people to advocate for interracial gay sex. A free speech absolutist would have supported your right to say that as well. Itís not about the position but the right to speak freely.

Itís not exactly the same but the Libertarian perspective of no or very limited workplace interference is also a position that can be rooted in a desire for maximum freedom not as a means to support discrimination. Discrimination, like hate speech, is an unfortunate side effect in a world that isnít perfect.

Now, Iím not a Libertarian because I donít believe in private property and money. None-the-less I think youíre unfairly maligning the philosophy.

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

The government that governs best is the government whose members commit suicide.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote