Music Banter - View Single Post - The Genesis 2018 Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

I can't participate in farce of a thread, which btw was started by an Anti-Abacaber. It's MusicBanter amateur hour at its worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
The best ELP song by Genesis.
I am fan of ELP. I always thought they great musicians. Keith Emerson was known for some crazy onstage antics. He would pull out knives (he had two) and stab at his organ, to sustain a note. When he was done he would through them into his Leslie cabinet. The blades would dull pretty quick and if they weren't sharpen they would bounce off the cabinet. There was one time Keith threw the knife and it ricocheted off the cabinet and the knife went directly into his roadie's leg. Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Knife Edge / Rondo / Drum Solo - Live 1970 - Remastered

In the early days of Genesis they would go to see [the Nice] in concert. They saw Kieth do onstage did what I just described. In fact they actually named the The Knife after the knife in Kieth's knife act. Believe it or not the person who gave those two knives to Keith Emerson was Lemmy Kilmister. So whenever I hear The Knife I feel Lemmy somehow lives on in spirit in that song, because it was his knife originally.

So if you are going to get serious about the best "Genesis a la ELP via The Nice" song it would have to be The Knife.

Genesis - The Knife

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-15-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote