Music Banter - View Single Post - The Genesis 2018 Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #94 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
If you go online and look at a lot of "Genesis: Albums Ranked" type articles, Abacab is generally rated more highly than the Genesis self-titled. They're often interchanged in overall ranking on the lists I saw, which makes sense as they are very similar records in regards to production and overall flow.

My joke posts aside, I like Genesis a lot but I think some of the modern prog bands like Big Big Train (who are heavily influenced by them) have ended up producing material that exceeds even Peter Gabriel's best stuff with the band, such as the The Underfall Yard LP and their English Electric series.
I have no problem with Abacab being popular. I just don't like it. I realise that's a crime punishable by death in Neapolitan's world, but I don't care. Personally, I'd rate the 1983 album higher but would go for We Can't Dance, if pushed, out of all the albums post 1980. Duke of course is the high watermark for 80s Genesis, the "old" passing into the "new".

I share your love of BBT, great band and I'm still working through their discog, though Gathering Speed is really excellent, as is Goodbye to the Age of Steam and Bard.

Hawk, have you listened to any BBT?