Music Banter - View Single Post - Frownland's Top 20 Albums of 2017 (featuring 17 honourable mentions)
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #100 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Honourable Mention Number Eleven

UUUU - UUUU

Wire bassist Edvard Graham Lewis, Spiritualized/late-stage Coil member Thighpaulsandra, Wire guitarist Matthew Simms, and Tomaga drummer Valentina Magaletti come together to create UUUU. In a perfect world, that's all that I would need to tell you before you went and listened to it before agreeing with me about how great this record is--I ejaculated just writing it--but for the sake of the ignorant I'll go in a little bit deeper. This album has a lot of legs all kicking for attention, but the key component of it is industrial improvisation. The percussion is driving, hypnotic, and gripping, the electronics waste no time in serving as the grounding that swallows the rest of the musicians, the guitar finding new ways to play at top volume, and driven bass give us a krauty, electronic, long form, industrial, experimental thing. It's cool. Listen.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote