Music Banter - View Single Post - Rubber Soul's Top 25 Extravaganza (1955-2017)
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 04:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Event of the year: JFK gets attacked by the Birds
Fad: The game ‘Who Shot John Kennedy?’
Babe of the Year: Rocky the Flying Squirrel
Scandal of the Year: Ed Sullivan walks out on Bob Dylan over his really big shoes
Movie or TV show to barf to: Cleopatra
What we could have done without: George Wallace and Bull Connor
Pet of the year: Christine Keeler

Other Tidbits: JFK speaks German in Berlin and inadvertently tells the audience to f*** themselves, he later accepts a teaching post in Australia during a trip to Dallas, Martin Luther King has a nightmare, At John Lennon’s request, the Queen rattles her jewelry, people are eaten by man eating flowers called triffids, Russia and US establish the Cone of Silence, Wilbur Post sent to mental institution for talking to a horse.

Okay a note here. UK and US releases were a bit different from each other as the US liked to stretch albums out over time. Therefore, two Beatle albums in the UK would become seven in the US. I tried to use the UK releases as much as possible but if a couple slip through the cracks, blame Kapp records or something.

Okay here we go…

1) The Beatles- With the Beatles
2) Bob Dylan- The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
3) The Beatles- Please Please Me
4) Charles Mingus- The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
5) James Brown- Live At the Apollo
6) Dave Van Ronk- Folksinger
7) Johnny Cash- Blood Sweat and Tears
8) The Beach Boys- Surfer Girl
9) Peter Paul and Mary- In the Wind
10) Prince Buster- I Feel the Spirit
11) The Impressions- The Impressions
12) Sam Cooke- Night Beat
13) Kenny Burrell- Midnight Blue
14) Various Artists- A Christmas Gift To You From Phil Spector
15) Thelonious Monk- Monk’s Dream
16) The Beach Boys- Surfin USA
17) The Searchers- Meet the Searchers
18) The Atlantics- Bombora
19) The Kingsmen- In Person
20) Peter Paul and Mary- Moving
21) Eric Dolphy- Conversations
22) The Miracles- The Fabulous Miracles
23) The Searchers- Sugar and Spice
24) The Marvelettes- The Marvelous Marvelettes
25) Lesley Gore- Sings of Mixed Up Hearts

This is the beginning of what I like to call the Beatle era. It’s also a good gage on how the quality of albums seem to improve, probably peaking around 1967-1968. As it is 1963 is the best year to date as the Beatles take number one for the first of six consecutive years as well as the number three spot. In between, we have probably Bob Dylan’s best folk album. He’s full blown political now as he guides us through Masters of War and A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall. Mingus comes up with another jazz classic and then there is James Browns’ classic Live at the Apollo. Dave Van Ronk releases his best effort this year and the Beach Boys come up with their first classic album in my book. They also score with Surfin’ USA. Other interesting albums include the Searchers’ two UK entries and the Atlantics. In the Honorable Mentions I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the Kingston Trio’s #16. While I couldn’t put it in my top twenty-five. I was surprised that they could still keep playing some decent stuff as late as 1963, especially since by now folk had gone all political.

Biggest Surprise- Prince Buster- I Feel the Spirit.

I almost went with Dave Van Ronk’s Folksinger but I expect good folk music. I didn’t know what to expect from a ska album. I absolutely love this album. And Madness did get their name from his signature song.

Biggest Disappointment- Dick Dale and His Deltones- King of the Surf Guitar.

I love your instrumentals but do me a favor, Dick, don’t sing- you suck!

Honorable Mention- Dionne Warwick- Presenting Dionne Warwick, The Kingston Trio- #16, Ike and Tina Turner- It’s Gonna Work Out Fine, James Brown- Prisoner of Love, Miles Davis- Seven Steps To Heaven

Stinker of the Year- Danke Schoen- Wayne Newton.

Before he became a smarmy entertainer in Vegas, Wayne Newton was a child star of twenty-one who in those days sounded like he had just been fired from the Chipmunks. If you saw Ferris Bueller Takes Off, you likely heard Danke Schoen. You may not have heard the Beatles Twist and Shout though because you probably were fighting to get out of the theatre. Yes, Virginia, this album truly sucks chipmunk balls.

Well now we’re in the Beatle era and it only gets better from here. See you later this week with 1964.