Music Banter - View Single Post - Finally, a reliable traditional forum about music!
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
SmokeAndMirrors
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Welcome. Did you see CF promote Monotheist? I would have shat myself.

Seems like you have solid taste so far, what artists outside of metal do you like?
It was a ****ing amazing show. I sat and talked with Martin Ain and Tom Warrior a bit after.

Outside of metal, kind of bounce around a bit. Skip Martin for jazz, Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller for funk, Chopin for romantic, Beethoven with classical, Bach for Baroque (for which without, there simply would be no counterpoint). Big Joe Williams, Lightning Hopkins, and Odetta with older blues music, Dead Kennedys and older Misfits stuff with punk, Fields of the Nephilim were a huge find for me too, Dawnrazor was solid. And oddly enough, I like Rasputina and Switchblade Symphony because it just sounds obscure.

I like a lot of drone and earlier 80s noise music too. Zero Kama, Korpses Katatonik, Coil, Current 93, Black Mountain Transmitter, T.O.M.B., Dreadlords, Psychic T.V.,Throbbing Gristle, andd I get into a little of the more modern industrial too, Covenant, Project Pitchfork, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Acylum, Tactical Sekt.

I do actually, like a lot of folk music, traditional music, and some new age. Pentangle were actually what made me really get into playing a 3/4 Double Bass. Like with Fairport Convention, and The Hare And The Moon, most of the music is traditional and folk pieces, often being hundreds of years old. I like a bit of Loreena McKennitt's material too.

I've even found some rap I've gotten to like, and some oddball types of country music like with what the Goddamn Gallows do. Nekro's older stuff for rap was pretty solid, Wu-Tang Clan dropped some great material, and I've done a little uncredited work and helped with editing for beats for some guys into rap and hiphop that I've known for a long time or worked with, etc.

Atmosphere is my thing with music, especially the creepy and weird. Basically, if it sounds creepy and weird, I'll probably love it immediately. That's kind of my thing with music, creepy and weird atmospheres. Following the cliche, I'm also a horror movie buff that prefers more psychological horror and thriller. I also read a lot, but I'm sure there's a thread in the off topic section somewhere for books and movies, etc.

(Zero Kama, if you've never heard the material, is music made on instruments made out of real, actual human bones. Recorded for The Secret Eye of L.A.Y.L.A.H. album, by Michael DeWitt in the early 80s of Austria, I believe. The recordings were then ran through a processor and remixed for the release. It has a very tribal-esque type of feel to it.)

So, musically I really do kind of bounce around between everything, genrelessly.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote