Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #1864 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Tajmo
Artist: Taj Mahal and Keb' Mo'
Genre: Blues
Nationality: American
Release date: May 5
Position in Discography: Twenty-seventh; first collab
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.25
Now this is how I like my blues! To hell with Robin Trower: this is the real stuff! Engaging and absorbing from the first riff, a growly, raspy voice that just drips the blues, some fine brass, and of course that mainstay of the bluesman (other than his geetar), the harmonica. Sweet. Taj Mahal has been around since the sixties, whereas Keb' has only been playing since the nineties, so I guess we're talking an old master teaming up with a young whippersnapper, and we get the benefit of that collaboration. Got some soul and gospel too in “All Around the World”, and country in “That's Who I Am”. I will say “Shake Me In Your Arms” gets a little boring and repetitive, and given that it runs for less than four minutes, that ain't good, but I feel like it's been going for about eight by the time it winds up.

The simplicity of the acoustic “Diving Duck Blues” is followed by The Who's “Squeeze Box”, with some nice accordion and organ. “Soul” has a nice Caribbean feel to it, bouncing along with timbales, congas, shakers and ukulele; great sense of exuberance in it. That leaves “Waiting On the World To Change”, a cover of the John Mayer song, and a very good version of it too. Decent album, lots to recommend it certainly.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating:

Last edited by Trollheart; 02-14-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote