Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: Led Zeppelin IV
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #210 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by josht23musiclover View Post
I guess the question is should we rate something higher just because it set certain standards? Or should it completely stand or fall on its own merits as music/whether we like it?
Oh what's up new(ish) dude, good post.

I say that in general terms of determining a classic, influence can definitely boost an album's status because I don't view classic the same way that I do favourites. It's not always a swing factor because the influence isn't always for the better, but I absolutely think that it's something to consider at the very least. Not only to give something more of a fair shake, but because it can help you identify the roots of what you enjoy about music. Albums like this came in at a point where recording was in an upswing, so they had an immense imprint on music in general. It's genuinely difficult to escape some sort of direct or indirect Zeppelin influence because of that impact. Plus, as a musician (he said with one hand down his pants), going to the source can make it easier to extrapolate on those ideas in new ways or to try to identify points in how music evolves and apply that evolutionary approach to other genres.

For the MB classics thread, I give it a little more leeway because if we were just going to do a plain ole classics list then we might as well just post up a few magazine articles. Going closer to our favourites will give our list more personality in the long run. Personally, I really appreciate originality so it gets a bit of swing depending on the record.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote