Music Banter - View Single Post - Things People Say or Write That Annoy You
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #114 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Pretty sure this is a lie. No one does that. Probably because it's a pointless grammar rule that should be flexible.
Mark this as the day you found out that someone you know does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah. I pretty much always do the opposite. And it's not just me. I see it on Match of the Day: "Spurs weren't great on the defence today, were they?" (Not Spurs wasn't great...") or "That player is really something. He's too good for Middlesboro. They'll struggle to keep him there." Not "It will struggle" etc. Maybe it's wrong; I'm not saying it isn't. But it's one of those things that has just happened and been accepted for so long now. You go to see Zu in concert. Do you say "It played a great set" or "They played a great set"? Just sounds wrong, the former...
(shrug)
I'm aware that people don't know how to use collective nouns, that's why I brought it up.

I would say "Zu played a great set." This isn't a discussion about pronouns. If you were to describe their music, would you say "Zu play a combination of metal and jazz" or would you say something coherent such as "Zu plays a combination of metal and jazz"? "Zu are very good" versus "Zu is very good"? If you're referring to a unit, it's singular. Soz if you've been convinced otherwise because you're wrong.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote