Music Banter - View Single Post - What's Production?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I just use it as an all inclusive phrase to refer to various aspects of recording, post-production and sound engineering.

The recording equipment used, the microphone placements, instrument settings, added reverb, compression, equalization, etc. etc. etc.
^ Well, I can't really improve on that detailed definition!

My concept of production is grounded in the work of prob the most famous producer of them all, George Martin. Especially apparent on Sgt.Pepper, he put together all the bits that weren't played by The Beatles. It's generally considered that he did an excellent job, and anyone can listen to how he meshed together a whole bunch of extra musicians and sound effects. What remains a puzzle to me is that presumably he also did an excellent job on Please, Please Me, etc. It's just that on those albums his work is all but invisible. Back in the old days, it seems, production was either competent or not; these fancy gradings of "over-produced" etc only began to be used in the 'seventies or (as per tore's post) 'eighties.

For anyone curious, here's the song that apparently has "gated drums." What are we listening for ?! The kind of slightly muffled, non-resonating drum beats, I suppose.