Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip native american music thread-
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ This is a real quality addition to the thread! I've never heard of this band, but am really enjoying the clips. Even though, as you say, there are a bunch of similar artists' styles bubbling away in the mixture, they deserve more than being "swept under the rug."

Funny that you should mention summer because "The rest of my days" reminded me of The Allmans who also have a lot of "summery" music, imo: "Blue Sky", "High Falls" for example. Actually, ever since Dick Dale, I think the US has cornered the market on summery music. The Brits don't often do it very well, and have a tendency to head off in some coy medieval direction when they try it.
I never really thought about it, but you've got a point there. Cream did some breezy stuff, but we kind of set the bar with a lot of the southern rock artists.

Getting back to Indigenous, this tune covers a nice little spectrum of being a bit of a summery tune with some 3rd stone from the sun sprinkled in. Not borrowed riff for riff, but nuances of it while still keeping their own songwriting identity:

Some time in the early 00's a bunch of us had tickets to see them, along with a bunch of other bands in a "Concert In The Park" kind of series they were running at Grant Park in Chicago. We all got a citation for having a beer in the park outside the venue, which was ridiculous. Most of us paid the citation, but a few just said screw it and ended up owing hundreds of dollars after accumulating late fees over the course a year or two. That was the only time I've seen this band and I don't remember anything other than owing the city of Chicago a lot of money. They were at the top of their game too around that time. Kind of a shame really. I might get out to see them this summer though, since they'll be here in June. I need some reconciliation.