Music Banter - View Single Post - Exo's Record Shop
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Kayo Dot
Hubardo

So this is the second rare record that I got along with the Piglet record. Limited to only 200 copies, this blue variant is one of my most prized records. I'm a huge Kayo Dot fan. I see them every chance I get, have had conversations with them about album concepts, and have had many a drunken and high experiences with their albums. Toby Driver is a genius in my eyes and his work with Maudlin of the Well isn't to be forgotten either. He's been doing this a long time.

Their sound has changed a bit on their last two records to a more gothy post punk with synth overtones and ghostly vocals. This album however is a total tour de force of epic proportions. Starts out with grizzled vocals by former Maudlin pal Jason Byron and then just swirls into this cacophony whirlwind of blast beats and dissonant guitar licks. Very dark and very atmospheric. Brutal way to start an album. Then the horns hit.

The album is split up between three LP's. It's a long album. Lots of movements. Lots of different sounds melting together. The pressing is very good. Great sound quality from the wax. Album comes with a nice lyric sheet.

The majority of the middle of the album is this frantic avant garde jazz chaos with Toby Driver wretching out vocals over horns and blasty off time drums from Keith Abrams. Sets a very sinister mood for the second half of the album to follow.

^One of my favorite songs of all time. Nothing injects energy into me like that song. Pure adrenaline.

After Zlida the album kind of dives underwater for a bit with these dream like melodies. Mia Matsumiya makes an appearance on violin. Toby ups the vocal range a bit. It comes to a close with this...

God damn thing is a masterpiece and I was happy to spend every dollar I did to get it in my possession. I'm still waiting for the re-issue of Choirs of the Eye to get here. When it does, the double feature of playing both epics back to back is something I'll be looking forward to.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote