Music Banter - View Single Post - The MB Musicians' Genre Extravaganza
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #197 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
It's kind of hard to say when that happens though. Atonality is really an old concept by now though. Trout Mask Replica is from the 60's, Schöenberg is ages ago, noise, vocal sample manipulation and formless tunelessness are old ideas by now. I guess what I'm wondering is how many avant garde and experimental artists making music now are truly forward looking. I'm absolutely not saying they're not there, of course.
You don't have to be forward looking to be experimental imo, that's what takes it to the level of avant-garde.

Formlessness and tunelessness are massive umbrellas though, aren't they? I'm certain that there's more to be explored there, as with form...fulness and tune...fulness.

Very little music is atonal btw since that means the entire absence of a key or mode, which makes a lot of very dissonant music "tonal" even though they aren't traditionally pleasant.

I get what you mean though. I even made a thread about it.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote