Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Strangest Music/Band/Album/Whatever?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #107 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Trawling back through this thread:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Jandek, oh my... I only have two of his incredibly long list of albums, one of them being Six and Six (1981). My initial reaction was - WTF is this? At first I was fascinated, but then it became unbearable (I'm not sure if that's a bad or a good thing). The other album that I have, You Walk Alone (1988) is much more accessible.
^ Heard about Jandek from MB, but he's in the " too-weird-for-me" category, and dankrsta's post doesn't encourge furthur exploration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I think the weirdest music I hear is old stuff like Vampires of Dartmoore, Cromagnon (thanks Anteater) and Amon Düül. The problem is, while weird, it's also often rather unpleasant to listen to or simply boring, for example Amon Düül's Psychedelic Underground. I like The Residents for the fact they are weird as well as listenable (usually) ..

I get a bit tired of the fact that weird almost always means eerie or spooky. That's not necessarily a feeling which is very hard to evoke in people, I think. Neither do I think it really requires vast amount of creativity compared to other ways of being creative with music.
^ tore makes a good point, and as if to illustrate it, this was posted soon afterwards:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFolkslave View Post
I don't know if this band is strange but it's quite interesting nonetheless. Dirty Granny Tales is an acoustic/experimental group from Greece that combines theatre acts with their music. They play dark-gothic-folk music and use different vocal styles including raspy black metal vocals.

^ Dressing up to appear spooky has ceased to be weird, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
I would go with anything off of Ponytail's Ice Cream Spiritual! Love that album

^ These guys don't sound weird to me either. Have the goalposts of weird really moved so much in the 8 years since this thread was started? Weird or not, this is a good track imo.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

A different way of being weird, ( rather than trying to be spooky ) is the off-beat homely weird that Syd Barratt and Daniel Johnston are famous for, both of whom, alas, are famous for having mental problems as well.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Of course breaking normal aesthetic rules is one way to be weird, but another way to find weird is to dip into a culture whose aesthetic is weird to us to begin with:-