Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Metal Classics: "Dopethrone" by Electric Wizard
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
So basically if you're depressed you need to get over it? Stiff upper lip? Smile even if you don't mean it and your heart will follow? Nihilism isn't a choice, it's inoperable cancer. And it's very much a catalyst for some fantastic music, even if a lot of nihilistic metal is admittedly very silly.
Nihilism is also a philosophical position. I don't agree with it as a choice, but depression is depression and not to be joked around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
Dopethrone's riffs are simple chord progressions but with uncomfortable dissonance. That's what I meant to say. They also feature a ton of slides and sometimes are drenched in wide vibrato, much more than any prior doom act used. The overall sound of the riffs are a hell of a lot more unnerving than prior doom albums.
^This is a better explanation. I see why people like it, basically, but it's just the sort of thing that's guaranteed to make me check the time repeatedly before the album is finally over.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote