Music Banter - View Single Post - Does a country accent make you a country singer?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 12:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

To set the record straight. I was never aware of MJ's questioning of a non-southern writer's credibility. So that when Big3 and I were arguing - we were arguing completely different points. I did, however, mistakingly observe big3 acting like an elitist. I probably would have called MJ's idea of country music damaged as well.

It is still a country dialect. Not accent. If you wan't me to list and cite a bunch of resources for you to look at regarding this matter I will. Or you could just go to www.google.com and look up Southern Dialect, and you will find inummerable educational pages written about it. If you look up Southern Accent, you will find that it is only used on forums and miseducated people. Simple as that. If need be, I will cite Ivy League Professors essays on the subject. I have quite a few.

My original issue was - that I perceived you calling someone else's idea of music damaged because they preferred Old School Country. Admittedly again, I missed the point of your post because I read both of them at the same time, both of the posts being close to each other and fitting on my screen. I completely missed the "credibility" - for that, and the subsequent thought of you acting elitist. I do apologize. (although I have pointed out that I have never thought you elitist, just came off like one, and I reiterate that here)

I agree that any person, from anywhere can write a country song as well as anyone else if they possess the skills, which are not limited to a region or country. I have never disagreed with that point. Do not lump me in with the credibility statement of MJs.

I would also like an apology from you here, questioning my intelligence in the accents and dialects argument. You were wrong and yet still, you slandered me in the same - by telling me to read a book, blah blah. When, in fact, I am quite more educated on the topic than you. Not bragging. Not boasting. We have both exchanged credentials, and I feel it's blatantly obvious -that I am well versed in the areas and especially so in the fundamental definitions of the words. It is a Southern Dialect. Accent is incorrect. Even if credentials weren't a matter at hand. A simple dictionary.com search has proven you wrong, without question or gray area involved.

A country dialect, does not make you a country artist.

The Highwaymen was the first thing my now missing father played for me when I was brought home from the hospital. After that... Zeppelin.

So I'll be waiting for that apology, and make up sex.