Music Banter - View Single Post - MB's Video Game Classics: Super Smash Bros Melee
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
no no what I'm refering to, if you aren't aware, are the advance techniques required at high level play that require a lot of button presses in a short window

things like L-Cancel, Wavedash, edge-cancel, stage tech, shffling etc.

the translation of amount of buttons you have to push is like english to spanish, it's just wordier

for example, to optimally do something as simple as an ariel attack, you have to short hop, hit the directional attack immediately after to perform a rising ariel, hit down on the control stick at the exact pinnacle of your jump to fast fall, then hit L as soon as you hit the ground to cancel landing lag

it is literally 4 to 5 inputs done in less than a second to do a very simple move

and pretty much every aspect of the game can be sped up this way, which is why a better Melee player won't just outsmart his opponent or know the combos, his character will literally move up to twice as fast
I'm guessing you're new to competitive fighting games? If not, no offense, but you should be blushing after saying something like this to any player of any major fighting game franchise.

I'm actually kind of shocked that you think rigorous cancelling and quick succession inputs are unique to high level Smash play, or that the speed of Smash inputs are faster and more difficult to master than high level SF play.

Have you ever played Street Fighter, or watched any competitive matches? Attacks and blocks are very comparable in speed to Smash, and learning exactly what to input to minimize frames and avoid any possible lags after lands/certain techniques is just as important. In fact, Street Fighter 2 pretty much invented cancelling (people actually thought it was a bug when the game first came out: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...ing-wasnt-bug/).
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote