Music Banter - View Single Post - World Cup 2018 thread
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #1056 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
Says who?

Wigan won the FA Cup a few years ago, Greece and Portugal won the Euros in 2004 & 2016, Chelsea won the Champions League in 2012 and none of these teams were the best in the competitions when they won them but that is quite rare and you don't really see it in league format. As I said it's knockout format.

How about we just award the trophy to the team with the best squad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
That doesn't make sense. By your logic we should award it to Senegal or Poland for getting knocked out as they have avoided all the best teams by being eliminated early and having no top teams in their group.

It's not what I've argued anyway, it's awarded to the team who scores more goals than their opponent in each round. You have a better chance of doing this with a favourable draw.
You're rationalizing a flawed tournament structure. Just accept that it's bull**** that rewards teams who get lucky with their "draws".
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote