Music Banter - View Single Post - What Drives You?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Gong off of this, I hate that (in America at least), everyone is always pressuring people into turning their hobbies into careers.

"Play an instrument? Oh, so what shows do you do, you trying to get on a label? Make birdhouses? Nice! Do you sell that **** on etsy? How can you enjoy something without money behind it?"

Some people will never understand the catharsis of just doing ****.
There's nothing wrong with doing something for the pure joy of it. You keep fish/love aquaria? You don't have to like, show them at fairs or whatever. But a lot of the creative stuff we do (well, let's be honest, I can only speak for myself so let's say I do) gains an extra punch when someone else enjoys/appreciates it. Someone likes one of my stories, that's a boost, and of course in contrast someone hates one it's a bit of a blow. However the former pushes me to go ahead and continue writing, while the latter, although it doesn't stop me writing, does throw in that little bit of doubt as to whether I am actually good enough to do this.

I think in that case, and many others, positive reinforcement gained through other people respecting - no, that's the wrong word - appreciating what you do, being impressed by it, really does help.

Of course, everyone's different, but I don't think someone should be singled out as "a dick" (sorry Kiii to harp on this) for saying they want to earn the respect of others. Whatever sets your particular seagoing vessel on the water, I say.