Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Mambo!" by Yma Sumac
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You thought wrong.

Genuine question: should the bolded read "now"? Otherwise I don't see how that sentence makes sense?
I meant to say ' ... not only have ...'

Quote:
Nah, just Abacab. And my ****ting on that is entirely justified, from my standpoint.
No, you also did it with Absent Friends, and The Battle of the Effing Forest ... and from my standpoint it's ironic i.e. being a hypercritical of good Genesis songs and being a super-fan of Genesis like youself.

Quote:
Never did. Not sure where you got that. Of course, calling an artist I like talentless or vowing you'd rather listen to ten hours of some music you hate does seem more like a personal attack than a proper music opinion. But hell, you hate Waits all you want. I'm sure he's about as worried over that as I am.
I forgot about that. Come to think of if, I thought I said I would listen to 10 hours of Frownland? I don't recall saying that I hated his music. Give me a minute and I'll try to find the exact quote, and you can mock me for spending too much time finding quotes like you did with "the Nick & Marla incident." brb ... ok I'm back and I found it.

Read 'em and weep:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I would rather listen to ten hours of Frownland than ten seconds of Tom Waits.
I'm right, I never said I hate Frownland music. As I see it, it still holds true. I've listen to an hour of Frownland during the Frownland versus Chula Vista smack down, and it was still better than one second of Tom Waits!

I think that is a Freudian slip on your part. Why would you remember me as hating Frownland's music and translate that into a personal attack, when I never said I hated his (Frown's) music? Maybe perhaps you hate Frown's music?

And I am sure somewhere on this board I mention my dislike for Tom Wait was there even before I ever joined Music Banter and met you. If I didn't make that clear or you forgot about it, you should now take that into consideration. My dislike of Tom Waits, has nothing to do with you liking him, and is in no way a personal attack against you.

Quote:
Hey man, it was you who started it. All I said was the album wasn't for me. If you look, I even say I'm not going to rate it, as I'd give it a low one and that doesn't seem fair, since it's surely not a bad album, just one I don't like.
That is perfectly fine if you don't like it. I am not forcing you to like it, or pushing you in any way to give it a second chance like other members. Not that they are doing wrong. It's just how cool I am with you disliking the album. That doesn't apply with being cool with insults or subterfuge, like pretending to dislike Yma Sumac to get at another Album Club 2017 member. Which you say you are not doing, so I take your word on that.

Quote:
Sorry you can't take criticism of your albums without bringing personality into it.
That's part of the appeal to like certain genres, or particular bands is the fact other people don't like it. e.i. Jazz, Punk, or avant garde. People don't get it, don't like it, but I do, so it's cool I know something they don't.

I can understand if it was Captain Beefheart you can't like, but I wasn't expecting that for Yma Sumac. Again it's not personal. It's only a curiosity people don't like the same things. Not a personal attack. No personal attacks. No attacks.

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, you can **** all over my next pick, due up next.
But that is the whole thing. I'm not like that. You are telling me to do that, but I don't do that. However let me make one stipulation: only unless it calls for it. I didn't do that with William Shatner. I didn't " **** all over" William Shatner.

As the saying goes "I guess we have to agree that you're disagreeable."

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote