Music Banter - View Single Post - Define "prog-lite"
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Prog-lite (also known as Prog Pop)
My own definition would be music that has prog sensibilities but leans in a more pop direction, perhaps even a rock direction, but where the prog is less pronounced than in your basic prog bands. Not so much of the noodling, longer suites, acoustic guitar or flute solos, and with more down-to-earth lyrics generally. I'd say Genesis from about 1981 onwards might qualify as prog-lite.
^ TH is our resident expert on Prog, so I'm happy to take his definition as -er- definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
There has been a fair helping of bands or individuals who have crossed prog over into New Age: Mike Oldfield, Iona and the Ozric Tentacles on their slower cuts are a few that come to mind. That album Ghost by Devin Townsend has some extensive prog-meets-New Age chops too.
^ Nice to talk to you about music again, Anteater, after our differences in the Trump threads. Thanks for pointing out how at one time Prog started morphing into New Age - so in fact I owe rubber soul an apology for my over-hasty dismissal of his question.

Your mention of Mike Oldfield reminded me of Ommadawn, so I'm gonna take that idea to the bagpipes thread so that I can impress the guys there with my staggering musical erudition: https://www.musicbanter.com/talk-ins...s-kickass.html