Music Banter - View Single Post - Odds that Russia has something on Trump?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Trying to turn Melania into a political figure is a seriously concerning move for the Trump administration. It reeks of quasi-monarchy which could easily lead to fasc...oh wait I forgot that we always gave the first lady an unreasonable amount of attention.
^ I quite like the special role that American First Ladies play, and the old-fashioned courtesy with which they are usually treated by the media. Is Melania being treated so differently from previous incumbants?
IMO, with Trump the worry quasi-monarchy bit has been the handing out positions of power to King Trump's children, irrespective of their experience or aptitude. That's a significant shift from meritocracy to nepotism, which is def a characteristic of dictatorships.

Ivanka Trump, official title: Advisor to President:-

Spoiler for historical precedents:
Over the years, more than a dozen children have worked for presidential fathers. Most have been low-level secretaries, or in some cases campaign operatives, said presidential historian Joshua Kendall, author of First Dads: Parenting And Politics From George Washington to Barack Obama.

Ivanka Trump is unique in that she is a woman with high-level influence.

Jared Trump, official title: Senior Advisor:-

Spoiler for Jared's initial job description:
Mr. Kushner arrived in the White House with an expansive portfolio. In addition to Middle East peace, he served as the president’s intermediary with Mexico, China and the Arab world.
At a senior staff meeting early in President Trump’s tenure, Reince Priebus, then the White House chief of staff, posed a simple question to Jared Kushner: What would his newly created Office of American Innovation do?

Mr. Kushner brushed him off, according to people privy to the exchange. Given that he and his top lieutenants were paid little or nothing, Mr. Kushner asked, “What do you care?” He emphasized his point with an expletive.

“O.K.,” Mr. Priebus replied. “You do whatever you want.”