Music Banter - View Single Post - R.L. Burnside
Thread: R.L. Burnside
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default R.L. Burnside

Psy-Fi is the only active member to mention R.L. Burnside afaik, but his various posts are scattered (not to say "lost" ) across different rec threads. With a recording career that spans five decades, I thought it was time that Robert Lee Burnside was given a thread of his own. As we might expect, he's explored a lot of blues styles across the years and although I've only scratched the surface so far, I'm particularly excited by these two great tracks:-

i) From a mid-career album with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, A Ass Pocket of Whiskey:-

ii) From his last album, A Bothered Mind, this track packs a remarkable punch from a guy who was 77 years old at the time:-

I'll be digging deeper into this discography over the next few days so any pointers or words of advice would be welcome:-

Spoiler for Wiki's R L B Discography:

Studio albums

Sound Machine Groove (Vogue, 1981)
Plays and Sings the Mississippi Delta Blues (Swingmaster, 1981)
Hill Country Blues (Swingmaster, 1987)
Skinny Woman (Lollipop, 1989), re-released as Acoustic Stories (MC, 1997)
Bad Luck City (Fat Possum, 1994)
Too Bad Jim (Fat Possum, 1994), produced by Robert Palmer
A Ass Pocket of Whiskey (Fat Possum, 1996), featuring the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Mr. Wizard (Fat Possum, 1997), including two tracks with Jon Spencer
Acoustic Stories (M.C. Records, 1997)
Come On In (Fat Possum, 1998), remixed recordings
My Black Name a-Ringin' (Genes, 1999), recordings from 1969
Wish I Was in Heaven Sitting Down (Fat Possum, 2000)
A Bothered Mind (Fat Possum, 2004), remixed recordings

Live albums

Mississippi Blues (Arion, 1984)
Burnside on Burnside (Fat Possum, 2001), a critically acclaimed 2001 live album recorded at the Crystal Ballroom, on Burnside Street, in Portland, Oregon

Compilation albums (Mostly first releases of previously recorded materials)

Going Down South (Swingmaster, 1999), split album with Johnny Woods and Ranie Burnette, recordings from 1984–1986
Well, Well, Well (MC Records, 2001), songs and interviews from 1986 to 1993
Raw Electric (Inside Sounds, 2002), compilation of recordings from 1979 and 1980
No Monkeys on this Train (HighTone, 2003), compilation of songs from Sound Machine Groove, live material and stories
First Recordings (Fat Possum, 2003), recorded in 1967 by George Mitchell
Rollin' and Tumblin': the King of Hill Country Blues (Wolf, 2010), posthumous compilation of recordings from 1975, 1989, 1991 and 1991