Music Banter - View Single Post - Good melodic metal? (no harsh vocals)
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #118 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
How about Mammatus? The focus is on melodic guitar work, and the vocals, when they do make an appearance, are not harsh.
Mammatus - Dragon of the Deep Part Three (Excellent Swordfight)

Never heard about these guys before. Is it really metal though? I know it gets kinda muddy when you go back to the genesis years for the genre, but my personal metal-o-meter wouldn't be moving at all if no one had told me it was metal. I Googled the band and see that they formed in 2005. Damn convincing retro artwork and music style/production. Almost had me fooled. Which shows you how little I've been listening to proto-metal, probably.

Either way, I gave it a few listens. Maybe a bit too stoned for my tastes at times, but it's pretty good. I liked some of the grooves and there's a lot of neat things going on in terms of how everything sounds. I've checked out loads of modern metal bands with a retro style. This band has more personality than the vast majority of them. When the singer finally comes in during this lengthy track, I felt reminded of anotehr "modern retro metal band". Haven't listened to them in a few years, but the obvious Ozzy-aping made me think of Count Raven.
To a lesser degree, maybe Pagan Altar. They're both more directly Sabbath inspired though. This band feels more well rounded than most bands who just rip off one aspect of another band.
Now that I think of it, I should really listen to Count Raven and Pagan Altar again. It's been years! Maybe I'll like them better now.
If anyone here likes them, let me know!

Flotsam and Jetsam - I Live You Die

Bungle posted this one. Didn't work in my territory, so I had to find another version. This one is remastered, but I don't know what difference it makes.
I've owned the Flotsam and Jetsam album "When The Storm Comes Down" for years, but for some reason, I never went out of my way to get any other albums.
I've listened to the album this rec is from ("No Place For Disgrace") before on YT in the past, but never really had that moment where I felt impressed.
The thing is, I'm just not more of a thrash metal guy at the end of the day. This is pretty allright, but I prefer how the other album I mentioned is a bit more proggy and
less thrashy. I don't know. I feel torn. This seems like good music, but I just feel so much like this particular boat has sailed for me in some way.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote