Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #848 (permalink)
YorkeDaddy
silky smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
let's see what's up with it

https://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/album/deconstruct

that cover is nice looking even if it's so simple.

I've reviewed the newer albums but have listened to them all, and I wasn't well acquainted with this one, but it sound cooler already than I remember. The first track assembles itself into a pillow of light drone that's already on the cool side so you don't need to turn it over. Frankly it sounds so pleasant and it's more textural than a lot of the other stuff I've heard. Then the album moves into percussive territory with the next one. I hear dissonance beneath the scattered drum hits which I wouldn't have expected. It sounds nostalgic light Boards of Canada lite. Once again texture rules me, and over a repeating synth melody and bass line the sounds of forgotten dreams fold and unfold.

The envelopment of hazy textures just continues, and cool drones like heatwaves rising from asphalt to wrap around you. Quite nice, again. Verbed out synthesizer give every little blurb a resonating existence, and when coupled with every other layer a dreamy sense of indeterminacy. After about 2:40 of Loner there's an amazing bit of of paradoxically shrill yet comfortable noise to carry it out. Great track there.

Track 5 has an exotic feel to it with the cool percussion that is actually quite varied if you really listen. So far the album has not stopped with the sublimation of great drones in a light ambient setting. Glimpse doesn't have as much to it but I figure it's a little interlude track. Still sounds nice though. Afterward the climbing melodies are back to blend with the soft noise canopy. Then another short, more melodic and less drone than the other one we've heard. There's some kinda organesque bit to begin the next track, and it sounds so dreamy. The last song is the loudest on the album, and a great closer.

So I always thought the project had drone elements but this album brings it way up front (at least I think so). It was surprising, not that I think the other stuff I've heard is lame (actually it was mostly nice, just not the hugest fan of the style), but this parade of gazing noise was very compelling. It succeeds as an ambient album as well as a drone album, with a constant nebula of blissful tone and timbre.

I'ma say 8/10
Noice, appreciate the review. I think that album was the turning point for me when I finally started to narrow down my style into something that was satisfying and actually worked. I think that album has a couple bland sections that, if I were making it today, would have been improved. But overall I'm quite proud of that one, and I expanded on the style I developed there throughout the next few albums.

Now onto your album in the next post:

9-Time Winner of MusicBanter's "Most Qualified to be a Moderator" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
On this one your voice is kind of weird but really intense and awesome
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote