Music Banter - View Single Post - What is so special about Vinyls anyway? ;)
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 06:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I like vinyl records as a physical medium because of the large covers and childhood nostalgia. Do I bother listening to vinyl records? Not really, too much of a hassle.

Mastering guidelines are different for vinyl records, CDs or digital distribution. I haven't yet mastered anything for vinyl, but as far as I can remember, you may have to tame bass some (because it takes up more physical groove-space on the record) and you should use limiters lightly / sparingly or not at all.

This means that if you have a CD or digital version of a song and compare it to the vinyl version, you're by far most likely listening to two different masters. The CD / digital release is likely to be louder and more compressed. This doesn't have to be the case, but generally music on those formats is compressed/limited more.

Sound quality wise, the comparison wouldn't be that valid. I mean, you'd actually be comparing different masters. If someone put a vinyl master on a CD or digital release and played all formats through the same sound system, you might not hear much of a difference between the mediums besides the added noise of the stylus scratching the LP's surface.