Music Banter - View Single Post - What is so special about Vinyls anyway? ;)
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
I really hate when people call records "vinyls" but I'm not gonna nitpick, because I like people who collect, love, and play them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rez View Post
But the term record could be used to describe a tape or cd or online album. When you say vinyl it is clear what you are talking about. People didnt say it then because their was no other alternative to mix it up with.
^ Back in the old days, 78s and 45s were described by their speeds. I presume that because "thirty-three and a third" was a bit of a mouthful, the next format to evolve was called a Long Player because it dramatically broke through the +/- ten-mins-per-disc barrier that had always applied previously. For something like ten years, a Long Player was always called an "lp," then, (and I blame this on musicians and journalists) the vague and slightly pretentious word "album" became cooler to use and the term "lp" was pretty much abandoned.

Of course "album" as applied to music is not format-specific. In a way that works well if you want to talk about a collection of songs that is published in various ways. What is a shame is that "album" has completely ousted the term "lp", which would be the perfect name to use in this thread and which would have avoided upsetting ladyislingering.