Music Banter - View Single Post - Good melodic metal? (no harsh vocals)
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #126 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
A few others came to mind for this thread recently.

These guys have lost their edge over the years, but in the late 80's and early 90's they were a force to be reckoned with in melodic metal.
From my own country, but I've still barely ever heard their music. I listened to some tracks off the same album that you posted a track from and... well... not really my thing to be honest. Way too much of a hair metal/80's hard rock vibe to it for me to enjoy it. And when the singer does his gruff vocals, he sounds like he should be voicing a character in the Muppet Show.

Apologies to both you and Batty, but I didn't like this at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post

Radakka were a weird band who formed in the mid 90's in Chicago who had elements of progressive metal, funk, thrash and some groove metal. Malice And Tranquility is a hidden gem IMO. Might be up your alley if you like the Flotsam & Jetsam's proggier side.
Ok, so this is better. Feel both quite 80's, while also having a bit of that early 90's grunge vibe. Reminds me somewhat of Savatage. Listening to this and a lot of other things recently, it's dawning on me that I'm generally not that into 80's metal. Now this is a 90's album, but with a heck of a lot of 80's feel to it. Of course there are exceptions, but I'm leaning towards late 90's and newer these days when it comes to metal. A lot of older metal bands feel really cheesy to me now. Take that with a grain of salt since it's a pretty heavy generalization.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote