Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #145 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbill357
Two things:

1. America has a brilliant indie scene. Austin, Texas, Athens Georgia, Portland Oregon, Omaha Nebraska. All have great bands pouring from them

2. Why is hip/hop a "passing trend"?
1. I know America does, but it's people like you that have to go hunting for them. You have to want to find them. Those bands don't come looking for you, unlike your major rap artists for example, who knock on your door every 3 minutes. America would be awesome if they could get those guys coming to the fore.

2. Not so much passing, that was probably the wrong word, as it has solid foundations that are probably here to stay. But America has trends. I hope this doesn't come across as too obscure but think of it as avalanches and rivers.

America is the avalanche. As soon as something triggers popularity in the us, the industry is mothered, absolutely mothered with a massive blanket of similar artists. (Eminem and Dre are good examples of this triggering). Once the market is covered in these artists it stays fairly dormant for sometime. Theres some on the side things happening (like the mars volta) but not for a long time does the next Eminem come along. The UK is the river, a steady flow of artists, which may not be as epic as the avalanche, but are consistantly keeping the industry ticking over. Keeping it fresh. Keeping the ideas alive.