Music Banter - View Single Post - Keiji Haino
Thread: Keiji Haino
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehname View Post
Saw him play, awkwardly, in a Swedish family amusement park in broad daylight. Old aged pensioners where sitting eating baked potatoes in the audience, unsuspecting what to come, and young children where passing by in roller coasters looking like they didn't gave a **** about the ride, instead staring at the japanese weirdo being noisy. It was surreal, but of course great all the same. Think the arrangers might have been critisised afterwards.
I've seen a couple of public free jazz shows that had really confused audiences.

Quote:
So, did you catch him?
Ja, I caught him with Peter Brotzmann in Los Angeles two nights in a row. Brotzmann was doing some dope saxwork but Haino just stole the show. First night, he played his crazy space exploring percussion at the beginning of the show and I was right up there for that part. It's crazy that so much energy and powerful noise can fit into such a small Japanese man. He played guitar and what I think was a shehnai on top of his vocals for the rest of the show. A drumset sat in the background and he basically played it with his amplifier until he had someone come out and adjust it. On the second night, he started off on the kit and that was pretty sick. There were a lot of really intricate improvisational moments that were almost proggy when Haino was tearing it up on guitar and Brotzmann shredding on his clarinet or sax. Crazy to see both sets of those firy fingers in action.

Night One

Night Two

Anyway this album is great

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote