Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #656 (permalink)
Key

1997 [Pt.1]

There's a lot to be said about the games that were released in 1997. First off, great year for gaming in general. On top of that, a lot of my favorite games were released in 1997, and god damn there were definitely lots of fantastic games being released that year. I'm still only going to be talking about five games here, but I'd imagine there'll be a larger amount of in depth reviews for these games. So enjoy I guess.

Diddy Kong Racing

Man I love Diddy Kong Racing. I've always been curious to know how far abroad this game got, because for whatever reason, it seems to be the game that not a lot of people actually got to play. I absolutely love everything about this game. Characters from all over coming into one game to participate in races. What was neat about this one though is it also had a pretty good story and the final boss, Wizpig, is definitely one of my favorite bosses in any game released back then. I mean, just check out what his overworld door looks like.

But I really think the space race with Wizpig takes the crown for this one. This race is not only heart pounding, the music alongside it is amazing. And the fact that Wizpig is riding a rocket and not a flying vehicle is just really creative game design.

I could talk endlessly about this game, but I'm going to keep it brief here.

Next up we have another amazing game that everyone has come to love dearly.

Yoshi's Story

Once again, I cannot say enough about this game. From start to finish you're met with one of the most sincere and dare I say adorable games we had ever seen back then. Yoshi's Story completely strips Mario from the picture and lets you control a variety of different Yoshi's as you treck through the story. By far the coolest thing about this game is the fact that you can playthrough it several times and it'll be different each time. The reason for that is because each world has 4 levels in it, and when you beat 1 on a playthrough, it flips to the next world. So you can basically go through again and choose other levels to beat instead.

But yet again, on top of that you not only have a great way to select levels, but the level designs were also fantastic. Gives you a sense of adventure and full on cuteness. Plus, in order to beat the levels, you have to eat fruit. Yes, I'm serious. Look at the border in this image:

Though those of us that are well versed in this game already know about that. I think that's a really cool and unique way to beat levels. You're not confined to getting to the other side of the map. You can go through it any way you want just as long as you collect the fruit along the way.

Yeah, Yoshi's Story is definitely one of those games that I recommend for anybody. Especially if you're a fan of a cute story and fun gameplay overall.

Moving on from that we have yet another amazing game. I told you there'd be quite a few of them, and I'm still missing some too which is crazy. Anyway...

Star Fox 64

C'mon, everyone knows about this game. It's had cultural relevance for several upon several years and I don't see this game ever falling into obscurity. It opened the door for so many things in the gaming world that it's tough to say that this game didn't have some sort of influence on games in general.

I mean, alongside the game itself, the characters are all really fun.

Fox McCloud of course being one of the coolest characters in the video gaming world.

There's not a whole lot more I can say about Star Fox 64 because it pretty much speaks for itself. It's a great game and I highly recommend it.