Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #14635 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I) Getting the FBI involved is a delay tactic: even if they don't find anything, she would stick by her story because "that's how I remember it" and attribute any inconsistencies that they might find as her own memory not being accurate.

Regardless, it still achieves the goal of pushing back things enough to where it effects the mid-terms, and it's not the only thing we've seen. She's made excuses of why she has to have the hearing pushed further out "because I can't fly up there" even when she was made an offer where they would go down to her in California. So there's no doubt that she's stalling (as directed by her attorney). I'm curious as to why.
^ Everyone following this story knows who wants to hurry and who doesn't, but isn't American justice all about going through due process? The GOP are saying that justice should be subservient to expediency, and it's a very sinister development when a political party says, "That's gonna take an inconvenient amount of time, let's not investigate it." In fact (Anita Hill precedent again) the FBI could prob establish whatever facts are available within a few days. And it's agreed by many commentators that Grassley's "offer" to go to California was ludicrous on the face of it: it's the equivalent of the local cop saying, "Don't bother coming down to the station to register your complaint, I'll come round to your house tonight and we can sort it out." We all know how that movie plays out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
II) See my previous post: one of her own best friends doesn't remember it taking place. And she's the FOURTH person who is a potential named witness to say that.
^ I'd like to hear more corroboration, of course, but these denials only carry limited weight because they're not to the FBI, and they're not under oath. As we've seen with recent interrogations, people are more careful about what they say in those circs, but Grassley doesn't want to take that risk.

Quote:
III). The Anita Hill case was interesting, but not that effective a precedent for Kavanaugh. The evidence and circumstances were different as well. Unlike this case, there were also corroborating witnesses.
^ Obv no two cases will be the same, but there are enough parallels imo to make it a guide, especially in the matter of letting the FBI find out what they can before a decision is taken. After all, what's the alternative? "Maybe there are some facts, but let's make a decision anyway, without them."

Quote:
VII) It isn't arbitrary.
^ I have yet to hear a single justification for the deadlines that Grassley has laid down. One clear indication of their arbitrariness is the way they keep shifting. Another one is that the GOP set the precedent that ten months is an acceptable period of time in which to process a Supreme Court nomination. With that time scale, Grassley's hour-by-hour threats are clearly unjustifiable.

^ Nice meme! And not without a point I must admit. On the other hand, what are we hearing from the Strong-On-Crime Party? From Putin to Roy Moore and Kavanaugh, all we hear is the same feeble Trump bleat of "Well, he says he didn't do it." If ever I'm arrested in the USA I'm going to request that Trump be my interrogating officer.

( On another point raised, Yeah, something a bit off with the way Feinstein concealed then released this story. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Lisna gets a taste of the insane minority’s response to the obvious.
^ Yes, I should really follow your example and stick to music, but I can't help getting caught up in the ongoing scandal factory which is Trump's presidency.