Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #14976 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Two cities were razed by a tsunami in Indonesia but how can that possibly compete for news time when a rich woman was dry humped 40 years ago?
^ I thought of this post this morning when I read the following in the autobiog of a guy called Jeremy Bowen, who worked as a BBC war correspondent for many years:-

Quote:
A traditional British newsroom follows a terrible arithmatic. Generally speaking, the furthur away from London, and the poorer the people, the more deaths it takes to qualify as a big story. In 1991 a cyclone hit Bangladesh. The first reports said that around 10,000 people had been killed. I was put on standby to go, in case it turned out that more people were dead. By the afternoon the reported toll was over 50,000, but that was still not enough. A day or two later Bangladeshi authorities were saying that more than 100,000 had died. Within hours, I was on a plane for Bangladesh. Six figures had done the trick.