Music Banter - View Single Post - Dance the Night Away (the best and worst dancing in music videos)
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilja View Post

"Mad World" - Tears for Fears. I always liked this version better than the cover (The Gary Jules version is just waaaay too depressing). Maybe because of the manic dancing of Roland (half of the group and the guy who wrote the song) in it. It just seems to me that it can be defined as really bad or really good dancing. I personally let it fall into the really good kind of dancing..just seems that he didn't really care for any fancy choreographing, just decided to dance the way he felt. And to me, that is the best kind of dancing.
You're right you can't really define his dancing as really good or bad, perhaps just as totally 80s. I watch the video a few times. I like how it was cut. Dancing isn't the main focus of the video. For the most part it comes secondary to Curt's singing. There is only a few scenes and you don't see Roland dance till 1:48 into the video. His style is similar to how other singers danced in the 80s. It's possible it's taken from how people danced in clubs back then, but done in his own personal style. It seems more like free form dancing imo.

Another thing to note, they worked up to his big dance scene. First he's standing on the dock, then he is walking on the dock. Then he could be seen dancing but he is in the background, then they pan over and zoom in and his dancing is the main focus but seen through throw the window. Now for the big dance scene he is outside dancing. Instead of fading out, or switching abruptly to the next scene they superimpose him dancing over the window where Curt is singing. So whoever done the video put some thought into it. Even if Curt Smith said the video was made on the cheap.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote