Music Banter - View Single Post - MB's Own November Midterm Election
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsock View Post
Lis, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the recent situation of non-citizens getting registered to vote for midterms in places like Texas and California recently.
^ Hi, windsock! As it's becoming a contentious issue, figures that people quote on voter fraud may vary, but Wikipedia is pretty trustable isn't it? I've just found their article on Voter Impersonation, which includes this summary:-

Quote:
Voter impersonation (also sometimes called in-person voter fraud) is a form of electoral fraud in which a person who is not eligible to vote in an election does so by voting under the name of another eligible voter or a person who is eligible, to vote a second or more times by otherwise pretending to be another eligible voter. In the United States, voter ID laws have been enacted in a number of states since 2010 with the aim of preventing voter impersonation. Existing research and evidence shows that voter impersonation is extremely rare. For example, in a Nassau County, New York in 2013 a few hundred people voted who were registered as deceased. In 1997 in Miami eighteen people were arrested for absentee ballot fraud (not voter impersonation) in the mayoral election. Over a recent fourteen-year period, there were only thirty-one documented cases of voter impersonation. There is no evidence that it has changed the result of any election.

According to a 2012 Pew Research Center (Pew) report, which Donald Trump has cited as proof of voter fraud, millions of voter registration records were out of date as people were either deceased or had moved. In November 2016, the former Pew research director confirmed that even with the out-dated data, there was no evidence of voter fraud. On the contrary, inefficiencies in the electoral system resulted in 51 million American citizens being prevented from registering to vote, which disproportionately included many in the military who had been deployed overseas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_...(United_States)

Also, early on in his presidency Trump called for an investigation into voter fraud because that was his excuse for losing the popular vote. That investigation concluded that there was no evidence of fraud if I remember correctly. Do you have any differing info about non-citizens registering to vote, windsock? I'd be interested to hear it (= not being sarcastic )