Music Banter - View Single Post - OccultHawk Reviews The Southern States
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #436 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
My jazz reviews almost always contain what tradition the music comes from and how successfully the musicians pull it off. If there’s something novel I mention it. If it’s strongly rooted in a tradition like I said I tell you what tradition and how enthusiastic I am about the recording. I do around three new releases a week. I don’t really think it’s lazy because I already put the work in to know their probable influences and that should be enough information for a jazz fan to decide if they want to listen. The free and avant 2018 thread doesn’t cater to casual listeners.

With the ambient drone 2018 you get if it’s ambient, dark ambient, neo-classical, noise, field recordings and so on. Based on your tastes it’s enough to decide if you want to check it out. I admit it’s quantity over quality sometimes but the purpose is to catalog the year as it unfolds. I’ve stuck with it, too.
The music is usually rad but the threads would benefit from being a little more fleshed out imo. Ultimately it comes down to which writing style you prefer, so if you have a vision then go with it.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote